Contact InfoDepartment of Information Engineering
and Computer Science (DISI)
University of Trento
via Sommarive 9, I-38123 Povo (TN), Italy
For UNITN studentsStarting this year, UNITN is switching to Moodle as the system to support courses (e.g., to store lecture and lab material). See the direct link to my courses below; instructions about how to configure your laptop for the labs are also temporarily available here:
- Laboratory of Wireless Sensor Networks: Moodle, lab configuration;
- Distributed Systems 1: Moodle, lab configuration and example files.
ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware 2016 in Trento!The 17th edition of the prestigious Middleware conference will be held in Trento (first time in Italy!) on December 12-16, 2016. I have the honor to be the General Chair.
Check out the website!
Some of my recent papers (check also the full list)
- "Data Prediction + Synchronous Transmissions = Ultra-low
Power Wireless Sensor Networks" with Timofei Istomin, Amy L.
Murphy, and Usman Raza.
In Proceedings of the 14th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys 2016), Stanford (CA, USA), November 14-16, 2016. PDF
- "RPL, the Routing Standard for
the Internet of Things ... Or Is It?" with Oana Iova, Timofei Istomin, and Csaba Kiraly.
IEEE Communications vol. 54, no. 12, December 2016. PDF
- "Directional Antennas for Convergecast in Wireless Sensor
Networks: Are They a Good Idea?" with Giovanni Tarter and
In Proceedings of the 13th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS 2016), Brasilia (Brazil), October 10-13, 2016. PDF
- "Geo-referenced Proximity Detection of Wildlife with
WildScope: Design and Characterization" with Davide Molteni,
Amy L. Murphy, Federico Ossi, Francesca Cagnacci, Michele Corrà,
Sandro Nicoloso. PDF
In Proceedings of the 14th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN 2015), Seattle (WA, USA), April 13-16, 2015.
This paper received the Best Paper Award.
Also, the research described in this paper has been featured
on the website of National Geographic Italy (in Italian)
- "Practical Data Prediction for Real-World Wireless Sensor Networks" with Usman Raza, Alessandro Camerra, Amy
L. Murphy and Themis Palpanas.
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), vol. 27, no. 8, 2014. PDF
- "Estimating Low-power Radio Signal Attenuation in Forests: A
LiDAR-based Approach" with Silvia Demetri and Lorenzo Bruzzone.
In Proceedings of the 11th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS 2015), Fortaleza (Brasil), June 10-12, 2015. PDF
- "DICE: Monitoring Global Invariants with Wireless Sensor
Networks" with Stefan Guna and Luca Mottola.
ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks (TOSN), vol. 10, no. 4, June 2014. PDF
- "Software Engineering for Mobility: Reflecting on the Past,
Peering into the Future" with Christine Julien, Amy
L. Murphy, Mirco Musolesi, Gruia-Catalin Roman.
In Proceedings of the 34th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE). Invited paper in the Future of Software Engineering (FOSE) track. The paper reflects upon a similar paper we wrote a decade and a half ago. PDF
"How Environmental Factors Impact Outdoor Sensor Networks: A Case
Study" with Ramona Marfievici, Amy L. Murphy, Federico Ossi, Francesca Cagnacci.
In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS), Hangzhou, China, October 2013. PDF
- "What Does Model-driven Data Acquisition Really Achieve in Wireless Sensor Networks?" with Usman Raza, Alessandro Camerra, Amy L. Murphy and Themis Palpanas. In Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom 2012), Lugano (Switzerland), March 19-23, 2012.This paper received the Mark Weiser Best Paper Award. PDF
- "Is There Light at the Ends of the Tunnel? Wireless Sensor Networks for Adaptive Lighting in Road Tunnels" with Matteo Ceriotti, Michele Corrà, Leandro D'Orazio, Roberto Doriguzzi, Daniele Facchin, Stefan Guna, Gian Paolo Jesi, Renato Lo Cigno, Luca Mottola, Amy L. Murphy, Massimo Pescalli, Denis Pregnolato, Carloalberto Torghele. In Proceedings of the 10th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN 2011, SPOTS track), Chicago (IL, USA), April 12-14, 2011, pp. 187-198. This paper received the Best Paper Award. PDF
- "Programming Wireless Sensor Networks: Fundamental Concepts
and State of the Art" with Luca Mottola.
ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 43, no. 3, April 2011. PDF
- "Not all Wireless Sensor Networks are Created Equal: A Comparative Study on Tunnels" with Luca Mottola, Matteo Ceriotti, Stefan Guna, Amy L. Murphy.
ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks (TOSN), vol. 7, no. 2, August 2010. The connectivity traces are also available. PDF
- "Monitoring Heritage Buildings with
Wireless Sensor Networks: The Torre Aquila Deployment" with Matteo
Ceriotti, Luca Mottola, Amy L. Murphy, Stefan Guna, Michele Corrà, Matteo Pozzi, Daniele Zonta, Paolo Zanon
In Proceedings of the 8th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN 2009, SPOTS track), San Francisco (CA, USA), April 13-16, 2009, pp. 277-288. This paper received the Best Paper Award. PDF