Fabio Massacci Home Page
This page is pretty old style but has the advantage that i) it is harder to hack than CMSs, and ii) I can write what I want.
Most research info is on the Security Group's wiki.
Professor and deputy Head of School (photo) at Università di Trento and in particular
Currently I'm visiting ISI at USC Viterbi in Los Angeles so beware of the time difference.
My favourite quotes:
- According to the university, the duties of professors are 50% administration, 50% teaching, 50% research. Order is relevant. (Moshe Vardi)
- I'm on holiday at the moment, so not supposed to be reading my email. (Bashar Nuseibeh)
- Data is the new gold, but maybe is the new asbestos (Participant at Cambridge Risk Seminar)
Awards and Recognition
My present working topics are
My h-index was >= 30 according to Google Scholar and >= 13 according to Scopus. My Erdös
number is 3 .
Modelling Security Requirements Engineering
(Now I do experiments on SRE)
Security-by-Contract for Mobile and Smart Card
Practical Enforcement of Information Flow Properties
Logical Cryptanalysis or Crypto with SAT for representing crypto-problems as logical problems.
Cryptographic Protocol Verification See Larry' Paulson web page in Cambridge for the papers and the proof scripts).
Modal and Description Logics
- EU-SESAR-WPE-EMFASE (Empirical Framework for Security Design and Economic Trade-Off)
- EU-SEC-CP-SECONOMICS - Security Economics (Coordinator) - 3MEuro (Trento approx 600K)
- EU-FET-IP-SECURECHANGE - Security Engineering for lifelong Evolvable Systems (Coordinator) - 5.1MEuro (Trento approx 500K)
- EU-IST-IP-MASTER - Managing Assurance, Security and Trust for Services - 920KEuro
- EU-IST-IP-SERENITY - Security and Dependability Engineering - 586KEuro
- EU-IST-STREP-S3MS - Security and Services for Mobile Systems (Coordinator) - 2.4MEuro (Trento approx 300K)
- PAT-FU-MOSTRO - Modeling Security and Trust Relationships within Organizations - 81KEuro
- SENSORIA - Software Engineering for Service-Oriented Overlay Computers - Closed
- ASI-DOVES - A Platform for Enabling on Board Autonomy - Closed
- EU-IST-FET WASP - Working Group on Answer Set Programming - Closed
- MIUR-FIRB ASTRO - Knowledge Level Software Engineering - Closed
- MIUR-FIRB - Security Protocols Verification - Closed
- EU-NoE-E-NEXT - Network of Excellence E-Next - Closed
PhD Students, Post-docs, Alumni
Current PhD Students
If you are interested in a PhD please apply to the
ICT PhD School: if you don't apply writing to me is utterly useless. Mention in the research proposal and in that motivation letter that you are interested in working with me. After you have applied you may also forward your complete application to security.positions.disi at unitn.it
- Ivan Pashchenko, on experimental comparison of static analysis methods
- Chan Nam Ngo, on distributed transactions systems (blockchains and all that)
- Silvio Biagioni, on operational risk
If you are interested in a post-doctoral position please write to security.positions.disi at unitn.it
Former PhD students
- Luca Allodi on economics models of cybercryme. University of Trento, Best PhD Award [Assistant Professor at TU Eindhoven]
- Natalia Bielova on enforcement and compliance [Researcher @ INRIA]
- Hristo Koshutanski, on interactive access control. [Co-founder and CTO @ Safe Society Labs S.L., Spain]
- Katsiaryna Labunets, on empirical methods for risk assessment [Post-doctoral Researcher @ TU Delft]
- Katsiarina Naliuka, on run-time monitors for mobile code security [Engineer @ Google CH]
- Minh Ngo, on programmable enforcement mechanisms for nformation flow [Post Doc @ INRIA]
- Viet H. Nguyen, on empirical security metrics of evolving systems. [System architect @ Bosch]
- Nataliya Rassadko, on XML/BP Security Views [Senior Developer @ GPI]
- Le Minh Sang Tran, on Game theory for evolving Security Requirements [Quantitative Researcher @ WorldQuant ] - CAiSE PhD Award 2016
- Ida SR Siahaan, on automata modulo theory for mobile code [Lecturer @ BN Univ. Indonesia]
- Artiom Yautsiukhin, on Security Engineering and Security Metrics [Researcher @ CNR Pisa]
- Nicola Zannone, on Security Requirements Engineering [Associate Prof @ Tech. Univ. Eindhoven.] IEEE RE'2015, 10 years most influential paper in Requirements Engineering
- Yudis Asnar, from Univ. of Trento [Professional Consultant @ STIKP Indonesia].
- Nicola Dragoni from Univ. of Bologna [Associate Prof @ DTU - Denmark].
- Olga Gadyatskaya, from Novosibirsk [Research associate @ Univ. of Luxembourg]
- Jing Nie, from Durham Business School [Assistant Professor @ University of International Business and Economics (UIBE) in Beijing]
- Stephan Neuhaus, from Saarland Univ. [Dozent @ Univ of Applied Sciences Zurich]
- Federica Paci, from Univ. of Milano and Purdue [Lecturer @ Southampton]
- Ayda Saidane, from Supelec [Security Consultant @ Revenue Quebec]
- Woohyun Shim, from Michigan State University [Associate Research Fellow @ Korea Institute for Public Administration]
Information for Master and Perspective PhD Students
MSc/MEng Thesis and PhD Thesis
Both BSc and MSc theses are available and some internships. Come and see me in person (after class is best, See below for a timetable).
I take research interns only within institutional university exchanges
(eg EIT Digital Master School with Twente, Darmstadt and Saarbrucken, or prof. Vladimir Vasilyev at UGATU or prof. Dang Tran Khanh at HCMUT). This happens within instutional exchanges such as the Erasmus-II programme.
PhD Studies in Trento
If you you would like to apply for a PhD in Trento, you'll be pleasantly surprised that we run everything in English and we have more than 50% international students.
Visit the International Graduate School in Information and Communication Technologies.
Don't forget that writing to me is utterly useless if you don't apply formally to the school.
After you have applied, you might send an email to security . positions. disi @ unitn . it with a cv (makes clear work experience), grades, names of a couple of referees and a draft proposal for what you would be interested in doing (1 page is enough).
You might also write to me but this is less effective. In particular it is completely useless if you have not read any paper of mine. So you should
- read my papers and decide which ones interest you. If you want to convince me to fork a new topic it is possible but you need to be convinced your self and explain this o me why I should be interested (and have the competences) to supervise you.
- apply at the school (see above, no application, no position). It is only in very rare cases that I fork a 1year pre phd fellowship. And this typically happened for people who have applied, we could not offer him/her a position but we thought the guy has a potential let's put him/her on a project and see how it works.
How to make sure your email is deleted
Please include among your favourite research topics something completely remote from the ones in this page. A good example:
- I have a propensity in the realm of Networking, Information Retrieval and Machine Learning
For the Courses see the Didattica on-line Web Page at the University of Trento or (much better) see here (Security and Privacy EIT Master).
If you are a lecturer and you would like to steal my English slides, please drop me a note. Being a great thief myself I'll be pleased to share.
(VERY OLD) Libri Didattici
I have been also involved in the sector of International
Voluntary Service Organizations.
In these days, you might be
interested in reading an essay written for a post-degree Foreign
Relations course by the Italian Minister of Forein Affairs I followed
in 1995 (once upon a time I won the competition to become U.N. officer). I
advocated a different relationship between Western Democracies and
Militant Islam, rather than funding conservative islamist leaders
(like Saddam Hussein or Saudi princes) to bash communists. History
proved me right. Download it in Postscript.
You can also see my wife (Beatrice De Blasi or also here) web page. I met her while a volunteer for the italian branch of Service Civil international.
Dipartimento di Scienze ed Ingegneria dell'Informazione
Università di Trento
Via Sommarive 9, I-38123 Trento, Italy
tel: +39.0461.282086 fax: +39.0461.282093
E-mail Fabio Massacci
If you need really to talk to me (and don't have my mobile phone) I suggest to contact
For anything else just send me an email. Eventually I'll respond (recall that in both branching and linear time eventually is not bounded by any finite constant).
Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign