Fabio Massacci Home Page
Professor (photo) at Università di Trento and in particular
In the recent past I have been
- vice-director for Education ICTLabs - Trento Node - European Institute for Innovation and Technology (1 year and was enough)
- guest Scientist at SINTEF (Enforce and DIGIT Project) for 6 years
- deputy rector for ICT procurement (7 years, 2 rectors, 2 general directors, managing 70+ staff members and 3MEuro/yearly budget, being a "customer" of IT was invaluable).
My favourite quotes:
- According to the university, the duties of professors are 50% adiministration, 50% teaching, 50% research. Order is relevant. (Moshe Vardi)
- I'm on holiday at the moment, so not supposed to be reading my email. (Bashar Nuseibeh)
- The Web is too dynamic and chaotic to be tamed (Oren Etzioni), and my web page is no exception (Fabio Massacci)
You can find all updated information in the Security Group's wiki on Research Topics. My present working topics are
My h-index was >= 30 according to Google Scholar and >= 13 according to Scopus. My Erdös
number is 3 .
Security Requirements Engineering
Logical Cryptanalysis or Crypto with SAT for representing crypto-problems as logical problems.
Cryptographic Protocol Verification
Modal and Description Logics
Conferences and Journals
- Journal Associate Editor:
- International Journal of Information Security
- Journal Special Issue:
- Journal of Computer Security: Special Issue on EU Funded Research, Science of Computer Programming: special issue on security and Trust
- Steering Committee Member of Conferences:
- International Symposium on Engineering Secure Software and Systems (ESSoS)
In cooperation with ACM SIGSAC and SIGSOFT.
I also started the ACM MetriSec workshop (Before Quality of Protection).
- Conference Chair:
- IJCAR-2001, iTrust-2005
- NTMS-2008, ESSoS-2009, ESSOS-2010, IEEE SSIRI
- PC member:
- too many to track them.
- EU-SEC-CP-SECONOMICS - Security Economics (Coordinator) - 3MEuro (Trento approx 600K)
- EU-FET-IP-SECURECHANGE - Security Engineering for lifelong Evolvable Systems (Coordinator) - 5.1MEuro (Trento approx 500K)
- EU-IST-IP-MASTER - Managing Assurance, Security and Trust for Services - 920KEuro
- EU-IST-IP-SERENITY - Security and Dependability Engineering - 586KEuro
- EU-IST-STREP-S3MS - Security and Services for Mobile Systems (Coordinator) - 2.4MEuro (Trento approx 300K)
- PAT-FU-MOSTRO - Modeling Security and Trust Relationships within Organizations - 81KEuro
- SENSORIA - Software Engineering for Service-Oriented Overlay Computers - Closed
- ASI-DOVES - A Platform for Enabling on Board Autonomy - Closed
- EU-IST-FET WASP - Working Group on Answer Set Programming - Closed
- MIUR-FIRB ASTRO - Knowledge Level Software Engineering - Closed
- MIUR-FIRB - Security Protocols Verification - Closed
- EU-NoE-E-NEXT - Network of Excellence E-Next - Closed
PhD Students, Post-docs, Alumni
Current PhD Students
- Stanislav Dashevsky, on empirical methods for software vulnerabilities [Currently at SAP Labs, France]
- Ivan Pashchenko, on experimental comparison of static analysis methods
- Chan Nam Ngo, on distributed transactions systems (blockchains and all that)
- Katsiaryna Labunets, from Trento Univ., on empirical methods for risk assessment
- Luca Allodi, from Trento Univ., on cybercrime measurements and economic theory
- Jing Nie, from Durham Business School, on digital finance and malicious trading
Former PhD students
- Luca Allodi on economics models of cybercryme. University of Trento, Best PhD Award
- Natalia Bielova on enforcement and compliance [Researcher @ INRIA]
- Hristo Koshutanski, on interactive access control. [Researcher @ University of Malaga, Spain]
- Katsiaryna Labunets, on empirical methods for risk assessment.
- Katsiarina Naliuka, on run-time monitors for mobile code security [Engineer @ Google CH]
- Minh Ngo, on programmable enforcement mechanisms for nformation flow.
- Viet H. Nguyen, on empirical security metrics of evolving systems. [System architect @ Bosch]
- Nataliya Rassadko, on XML/BP Security Views [Senior Developer @ GPI]
- Le Minh Sang Tran, on Game theory for evolving Security Requirements [Quantitative Researcher @ WorldQuant ] - CAiSE PhD Award 2016
- Ida SR Siahaan, on automata modulo theory for mobile code [Lecturer @ BN Univ. Indonesia]
- Artiom Yautsiukhin, on Security Engineering and Security Metrics [Researcher @ CNR Pisa]
- Nicola Zannone, on Security Requirements Engineering [Assistant Prof @ Tech. Univ. Eindhoven.] IEEE RE'2015, 10 years most influential paper in Requirements Engineering
- Yudis Asnar, from Univ. of Trento [Professional Consultant @ STIKP Indonesia].
- Nicola Dragoni from Univ. of Bologna [Associate Prof @ DTU - Denmark].
- Olga Gadyatskaya, from Novosibirsk [Research associate @ Univ. of Luxembourg]
- Stephan Neuhaus, from Saarland Univ. [Dozent @ Univ of Applied Sciences Zurich]
- Federica Paci, from Univ. of Milano and Purdue [Lecturer @ Southampton]
- Ayda Saidane, from Supelec [Security Consultant @ Revenue Quebec]
- Woohyun Shim, from Michigan State University [Associate Research Fellow @ Korea Institute for Public Administration]
Both BSc and MSc theses are available and some internships.
More details here on the Thesis Web Page of the University.
Research internship and PhD studies
I do not normally take research interns unless s/he is somebody who wants to do a PhD with me.
If you you would like to apply for a PhD in Trento, you'll be pleasantly surprised that we run everything in English and that you don't have to
come to Trento for the admission exam. For further information, visit the International Graduate School in Information and Communication Technologies web site or download this presentation (not really meant for prospective students but you get an idea).
How to make sure your email is deleted
If you want to be sure that your email is deleted make sure to include among your favourite research topics something completely remote from the ones in this page. A good example:
- I have a propensity in the realm of Networking, Information Retrieval and Machine Learning
For the Courses see the Didattica on-line Web Page at the University of Trento or see here (Security and Privacy EIT Master) if you are not from Trento.
If you are a lecturer and you would like to steal my English slides, please drop me a note. Being a great thief myself I'll be pleased to share.
(VERY OLD) Libri Didattici
I'm also involved in the sector of International
Voluntary Service Organizations.
In these days, you might be
interested in reading an essay written for a post-degree Foreign
Relations course by the Italian Minister of Forein Affairs I followed
in 1995 (once upon a time I won the competition to become U.N. officer). I
advocated a different relationship between Western Democracies and
Militant Islam, rather than funding conservative islamist leaders
(like Saddam Hussein or Saudi princes) to bash communists. History
proved me right. Download it in Postscript.
You can also see my wife (Beatrice De Blasi or also here) web page. I met her while a volunteer for the italian branch of Service Civil international.
Dipartimento di Scienze ed Ingegneria dell'Informazione
Università di Trento
Via Sommarive 14, I-38123 Trento, Italy
tel: +39.0461.282086 fax: +39.0461.282093
E-mail Fabio PUNTO Massacci CHIOCCIOLA unitn PUNTO it
If you need really to talk to me (and don't have my mobile phone) I suggest to contact
For anything else just send me an email. Eventually I'll respond (recall that in CTL and LTL eventually is not bounded by any finite constant).
Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign